Flexibility is Badass
After working years in stuffy, boring ass 9-5 jobs, I decided to drop that rigid slave-like schedule and prioritize flexibility in my day-to day schedule – even it it meant lower pay.
Benefits of being an independent contractor (400 favors as a Favor runner) and setting my own schedule:
- I don’t have to cap my breaks at 15 min
- I can eat lunch whenever I want
- I can take walks outside whenever I want
- I can attend meetings / educational webinars and CGC coaching calls and move my schedule around these things. In my 9-5 job I would usually have to miss the things I wanted to do because keeping my boring ass 9-5 was a priority.
- I get to have the mornings to prioritize my goals first if I so choose.
- More responsibility (this could be a positive or a negative the way you look at it)
- I can take a day, a week, a month off and pick up where I left off if I like.
- I can do things when other people are at work so to avoid traffic and lines.
Of course there are downsides too. My pay has been cut in half from my 9-5 job. There is always the risk of being too lazy and paying the consequence later. There is a lot more isolation.
So wtf am I saying here? I’m again saying flexibility is badass. Too badass for me to go back to a 9-5, so in the meantime in between time, even though being a Favor Runner sucks, I will keep going doing it while exploring other options that will payoff better in the future.
I think my next post will be an attempt to make Favor a little more badass for me, the runner, since I’m choosing to continue it for now.